Wednesday, December 12, 2012

short trips with strange men

a totally unrelated picture of my cousin and i heading to town just outside the kampong in Malacca.

Since India plans fell through i detoured and made a trip to Malaysia instead. I figured hanging out with my cousins and friends would trump any other holiday. After a couple of nights in Malacca, i was heading up to KL to meet some friends for the weekend.

while waiting for the bus to the bus station, an elderly man pulls up on a motorbike. He's rider drives off and he stands next to me at the bus stop. I was about to plug into music when he bursts into conversation asking me where i'm heading too.

Trying not to be rude, i say oh, the bus station.

he looks me up and down and goes... kristang eh? podi papiah kristang?

translating quickly i answer ya, podi. 

uni bos te bai? Singapura?

no... yo te bai KL.

oh? yo pun te bai nala. 

i didn't really want to tell him much of anything but he wouldn't stop; asking me where i stayed in Malacca,  who my relatives are and he starts naming some of my family members as well.

I suppose he was somewhat like a guardian angel as he helped me out with the bus fares and proceeded to show me the cheapest bus ticket to KL at the station. Despite intending to go the same way, he decides to take a later bus and i jumped on the first bus out of there... i didn't want to spend another 2 hours or more waiting around at the bus station with him.

maybe things do happen for a reason.

maybe he was placed there to help me out.

maybe, just maybe.. someone up there was watching out for me. 

No comments: