Thursday, December 13, 2012

memories

I sat still and smiled at him. He begins to tell a story i've heard him tell a few times before. I let him tell me like it's the first time i'm hearing it. My gaze fall on his lips and i watch them move. I watch his hands, his big hands that somehow have gotten old and tired. I watch them gesturing out with such determination. His eyes as they flicker far away from where we were to a place his memories carried him. i don't really pay attention to what he says but as he continues talking, i am focus on his emotions escalating and how he desperately tries to recreate the same feelings he had through the memories in his head. i watched as he tried to convey it to me and for some reason how important it seemed that i too would evoke the same warm feelings that he had experienced.

i let him share his story again and again. i let him share a part of himself with me. i let him remember his past and allow him to take me there with him so we can both enjoy it and with that i am grateful. i'm grateful to walk through these memories with him and am honored he lets me into his life.

No comments: